11th June 2019
Don’t get me wrong, we love winter. We love the sheets of afternoon rain, the crisp blue mornings and the excusable weight gain. Nevertheless, a few weeks in and there’s not much we wouldn’t give for a brief reprieve. Our solution? Heavenly Hamilton Island, less than two hours from Brisbane and somehow blessed with eternal sunshine.
Enjoying a balmy 24 degree Celsius average over the winter months, Hamilton Island makes for the perfect winter escape. Fortunately also considered the regions low season, pack up the kids during the winter break and base yourself at the gateway to the Great barrier Reef.
And once you arrive, then what?
Hamilton Island is brimming with remarkable activities and attractions all year round. Some of our favourites are laid out below:
1. Experience Australia’s iconic native wildlifesuch as kangaroos, snakes, lizards and crocodiles. Get up close and cuddle with a koala or have your picture taken with a dingo. Fun for the whole family!
2. Explore the Great Barrier Reef from a catamaran. Glide through the region, stopping in coves and inlets for swim and snorkel opportunities.
3. Raise your heartbeat with an exhilarating Jetski tour or off-road 4WD experience through the rugged inland Parks.
4. Enjoy some of the regions finest food and wine at the 13, predominantly beachfront, establishments found across the island.
5. Appreciate the island and crystal waters from above as you glide overhead in a chartered seaplane or helicopter – an utterly unforgettable experience.
6. Embrace the island life with morning yoga and meditation or have a hit of tennis on the court.
7. Spend an afternoon exploring the network of pristine bush walking tracks crisscrossing Hamilton Island. A great opportunity to discover secluded beaches, inlets and panoramic views across the region, staking out the best sunset spots.